India on Tuesday shared the details of the probe into the Mumbai terror strikes, which points to the involvement of Pakistan-based terrorists, with the United States and 10 other countries whose nationals were killed in the three-day carnage last week.The Ministry of External Affairs organised a special briefing for the Heads of Missions of the US, Israel, France, Australia, Canada, Germany, UK, Singapore, Japan, Italy and Thailand to share 'details' about the incident.
During interrogation, Ajmal Amin Kasab, a militant arrested during the siege, said that they had boarded Al Husseni docked at a distance from Karachi port and were to be dropped near Mumbai waters, official sources said. Kasab, who hails from a poor family of Multan, Punjab, told investigators that they made a last minute decision to shift a Indian vessel to avoid detection by Indian Navy and Coast Guard.
Pakistan may relocate around 100,000 military personnel from its restive border area with Afghanistan if there is an escalation in tension with India,which has hinted at the involvement of Pakistani elements in the Mumbai carnage, a media report said today.
Sebastian Vettel trimmed Lewis Hamilton's Formula One lead to 17 points with eight races remaining.
'1984 is important as it is the beginning of the State making war against its citizens in India.' 'Since then, we had the government of the day organising riots or genocide by attacking certain people.'
Making a no-holds-barred attack on Bharatiya Janata Party's prime ministerial candidate, NCP chief Sharad Pawar said Narendra Modi needs to be "treated in a mental hospital" for talking "rubbish".
With the expiry of the seven years' stipulated time, authorities are set to declare 228 missing in the 2002 post-Godhra riots as dead.
Non governmental organisations seeking curbs on circulation of the Nanavati Commission report giving clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narender Modi in the Godhra train carnage and subsequent riots got a setback as the Supreme Court on Monday disagreed that there was illegality in submitting an interim report.
Reputations counted for little at the French Open on Thursday when Amelie Mauresmo, James Blake and David Nalbandian were toppled by opponents ranked outside the world's top 75.
The house where the Mumbai terror attackers and its planners camped before and after launching their deadly operation has been unearthed in Pakistan's Sindh province, a media report said on Sunday. A large map of the world with Mumbai and the sea route to it marked out prominently, and newspapers, including those carrying stories about the November 26 Mumbai carnage, were found at the house, now sealed by investigators, Geo TV said.
Deadly enemies though they present themselves as, Hindu and Muslim chauvinists desperately need each other. Without each other they are incomplete, indeed unable to survive. That is what this series of blasts, as well as the entire history of Hindu and Muslim communalism, clearly suggests.
India can expect more terror attacks like the Mumbai carnage from Pakistan-based terrorist groups with high body counts and symbolic targets in an escalating terror campaign in South Asia, a study by a leading US think tank has warned. The RAND study identifies the operational and tactical features of the attack, evaluates the response of Indian security forces, and analyzes the implications for India, Pakistan and the United States.
The prosecution in the Mumbai terror attacks case on Thursday appealed to the trial court to modify the charge framed by it on the issue of 'waging war against the nation' by arguing that one of the objectives of the conspiracy was to separate Jammu and Kashmir from India. The appeal comes in the wake of the charges framed excluding the prosecution's point that the Mumbai carnage was part of a Jihadi plan to liberate Kashmir.
The second dossier is also likely to name Lashkar-e-Tayiba leaders Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah as conspirators of the Mumbai carnage and furnish details as to how they planned the attacks and trained the attackers. The DNA sample of Kasab, which has already been collected by the investigators as part of efforts to prove that he is a Pakistani national, is likely to be given soon, sources said.
"It would be insulting to our martyrs if Ajmal is let off on humanitarian grounds without any punishment," Vaishali, daughter of Tukaram Ombale who was killed during the terror siege, said in an interview to Shiv Sena mouthpiece Saamna on Friday
The FBI is understood to have found evidence about the role of a Pakistani security establishment other than the ISI being involved in the November 26 terror strikes in Mumbai that left over 180 people dead including six American nationals, official sources said. While the name of the Pakistan establishment involved in the attack was not clear immediately, the sources did not rule out the possibility of active and direct involvement of its Army.
A top United States military commander has said a close watch had to be kept on Lashkar-e-Tayiba, blamed for the Mumbai carnage, which may try to carry out more attacks, as he asked Pakistan to focus more on confronting Taliban and extremists within its own borders, instead of India.
Noted South Asia expert Stephen P Cohen has asserted that India can do more to rescue Pakistan than any other country even as tensions mount over the deadly terrorist attacks in Mumbai.
On Wednesday, Mumbai stood up to accuse those who had harmed her -- her so-called political leaders, the bureaucracy, the intelligence department and Mumbai herself.
His remarks in the aftermath the post-Godhra communal carnage in Gujarat that 'if he had a pistol, he would shoot Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi', evoked mixed reactions with Modi supporters burning his effigies while others lauded him for the anti-Modi tirade.
Paying your date's bar tab with a coupon is not generally seen as the best way to impress. But as New York's singles' crowd comes to grips with the recession, it is starting to see such potentially embarrassing options as a better alternative to going broke.
A two-member commission headed by Justice G T Nanavati on Thursday submitted the first part of its report on the 2002 Sabarmati train carnage in Godhra and subsequent riots to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi. The commission, appointed by the Modi government after the worst-ever riots in the state and comprising retired Justices Nanavati and Akshay Mehta, examined more than 1,000 witness during the period of six years.
We are asking YOU, our dear readers, if you think Narendra Modi's remorse is genuine?
The way communal politics has become the only way to decide political discourse is unfortunate and bad sign for the future of democracy, says Syed Hassan Kazim
Holding that Pakistan will have to give cast iron guarantees that its soil will not be used to launch a terror attack like Mumbai carnage, India has said that it will have to pay an enormous price if such a strike is repeated. "What we now want are cast iron guarantees that no state actors or non-state ones will be allowed to use Pakistani soil or sources to launch an attack on India," Home Minister P Chidambaram said.
The Taj Mahal hotel, ravaged during the 26/11 terror strikes, reopened on Sunday evening with its owner Ratan Tata dedicating the restored hotel to those who had lost their lives in the carnage."We cannot be knocked down--this is a memorable day and a tribute to those who saved many lives," an emotional Tata said, adding "it gives me a great sense of pride--this is the start of a new era."
BJP's prime ministerial candidate L K Advani on Saturday said the UPA government woke up to enact new laws to combat terror only after the bloody Mumbai attacks.
Weekly magazine Tehelka on Wednesday said that they were saddened by the lack of response from the United Progressive Alliance government at the Centre about its sting operation into Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi's alleged complicity in the post-Godhra carnage in 2002.
The problem for the NBFC sector is the funding inertia by banks and not lack of funds.
Tehelka claimed it had 'irrefutable' evidence that the killings of Muslims post-Godhra train carnage in Gujarat was 'not a spontaneous swell of anger but a genocide' planned and executed by top functionaries of the Sangh Parivar and state authorities 'with the sanction' of Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Singh and Punjab Governor V P S Badnore led hundreds of people from all walks of life who took out a candle march to pay homage to the martyrs.
"We condemn the Ahmedabad bomb blasts. Gujarati Muslims want peace. We are a business-oriented people and we believe that peace must be maintained. Muslims of Gujarat are not at all involved in any terrorist activities," said Saeed Umarjee, son of Hussein Umarjee prime accused in the Godhra carnage of 2002, in which 59 people were killed. Since 2003, Hussein Umerjee is in Sabarmati jail with 85 other accused.
Two female suicide bombers blew themselves up in a northeast Nigerian refugee camp, killing at least 56 people, health and rescue officials said on Wednesday.
An advocate, representing a section of the post-Godhra riot victims in the inquiry commission in Gujarat, has received a letter threatening to kill him and a Mumbai-based social activist. The letter writer threatens the advocate and accuses him of trying to incite and mislead the people of Gujarat on the Godhra issue. The writer goes on to say that both Sinha and social activist Teesta Setalvad, who runs the Mumbai-based NGO Citizens for Justice and Peace, will be eliminated.
Justice (retd) G T Nanavati, who gave a clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the Godhra train carnage, on Friday refused to be drawn into a controversy over comparisons of his report with that of the Banerjee Commission set up by the Railway Ministry.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday directed the Gujarat government to constitute within 10 days a special investigation team to re-investigate 14 cases pertaining to the post-Godhra communal riots. A bench headed by Justice Arjit Pasayat said the SIT would submit its report in a sealed cover to the court in 3 months.
The Tehelka expose on the Gujarat carnage was a "belated attempt" by the Narendra Modi government to boost his sagging image among the voters ahead of forthcoming state assembly elections.
Minutes after the carnage at the bourses, government on Wednesday said it is not in favour of banning Participatory Notes and hoped that "the initial sense of alarm in stock markets" will quieten as the day progresses.
'Why not simply make some more ventilators and find some more beds? How much would it cost?' asks Ambassador M K Bhadrakumar.
Bhai Surinder Singh, head 'granthi' of Majnu-Ka-Tila gurdwara in north Delhi, also alleged that Tytler was 'plotting' to eliminate him after his ruse to send him abroad did not work.